We’re back, with a big pile of links from the weekend that was. All sorts of good stuff relating to the Idaho Vandals’ upset of Northern Illinois. We apologize for the day-long hiatus, but there was homework to catch up on!
The Vandals are receiving more national attention than ever — as well they should, given their 3-1 record, the best FBS start in school history and the best overall since 1994.
But the gridiron Vandals aren’t the only squad on a hot start. Idaho’s women’s soccer squad is 7-4 heading into conference play this weekend, also its best-ever season start.
On Saturday, the Vandals will take to the Kibbie Dome for a nationally-televised night battle against the Colorado State Rams, which will close out the non-conference season. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. — students are advised to pick up their tickets soon, as nearly three-quarters of the allocation has already been distributed.
- The Argonaut’s Jennifer Schlake has a game report that also mentions Nathan Enderle’s WAC Player of the Week honors.
- ESPN.com’s Pat Forde gives props to Idaho’s turnaround.
- The Coloradoan’s Kelly Lyell says the Rams aren’t going to overlook a “dangerous” Vandal squad.
- Jennifer Schlake chimes in again with a recruiting update on coach Robb Akey’s quest for size.
- Mike Brohard of the Loveland Reporter-Herald reports on the “unique challenges” posed by the Vandals and the Kibbie Dome.
- The Red and Black Attack wraps up the Huskies’ loss, saying “It will be tough for anyone to shut (Idaho) down and they will be very, very difficult to beat at home in their dome.”
- The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Poinsettia Bowl will take WAC teams in 2011 and 2012.
- The Lewiston Tribune’s Jesse Baumgartner posts up his WAC power rankings.
- Chris Murray of the Reno Gazette-Journal and Jason Groves of the Las Cruces Sun-News both make preseason picks for the WAC’s best players. Murray’s top seniors and juniors; Groves’ top seniors and juniors. No surprise, Mac Hopson is among them.
- The Vandals doubles team of Maria Perevoshchikova and Alexandra Ulesanu won at the GU/EWU Invitational.
- The Arg’s Theo Lawson previews this week’s golf tournament in Kansas.
- The Arg’s Ilya Pinchuk has the story on the Vandals’ home sweep over South Dakota and Weber State.