(UPDATE 9:57) Looking at scheduling, of interest to Idaho is that with Hawaii in the mix, BSU has one extra game it can schedule…could that game be reserved for a continuance of the UI/BSU rivalry?
(UPDATE 9:44) Official response to the situation from the words of the MWC — “The Mountain West Conference Board of Directors has authorized Commissioner Craig Thompson to begin discussions with the University of Hawai`i regarding possible membership in the sport of football only.”
Dirting up the water even more. Doesn’t sounds like a finalized deal, but MWC is looking into a possibility. What this would mean is that MWC would have to change their bylaws, as currently they can only accept schools that perticipate in all sports. Sounds like MWC is considering making the change…
PS. that sound you heard was Air Force collectively screaming in anger and agony.
(UPDATE 9:30) More strangeness and mixed signals coming from MWC, which says it has authorized Thompson to discuss expansion with Hawaii…yet from the presser, Hawaii said it was all but a done deal. Are wires getting crossed?
(UPDATE 9:29) We needed a few minutes to gather out heads around this one…and it hasn’t done much good. Our analysis–
- Hawaii has no invite to MWC, just a mutual desire…so why call press conference to announce their desire to join MWC without a deal in place. Hawaii said they are entering “final negotiations”…but what does that mean exactly? Why not wait, finalize the move, and announce.
- Also, a huge ‘up yours Benson and WAC’ message being sent by Hawaii, as they announced this to their fans first. The oddity that was this presser will be the first Benson will hear about this move.
- We find this odd…the WAC has supported Hawaii, through expensive travel and all, and Hawaii has been happy (or so we though) with the WAC. Why go through this trouble to stir up animosity?
- Not everyone is happy with the move. Football goes to MWC, but all other sports go to Big West, and UH basketball coach isn’t happy about it.
- To sum it up — the presser left more questions than answers.
(UPDATE 9:13 pm) Wow…we have entered bizzaro world. UH calling a press conference confirming…well, that they are interested in joining MWC, and the MWC is interested in them, but there is no invite or offer to speak of yet…
Also, UH has NOT informed the WAC or comish Benson before this press conference of theirs. Stunningly gutsy, and *editorial* stupid move by UH. After all the support given to the by the WAC, and their public distaine of Nevada and Fresno leaving (remember the traitor comments?). Hypocrisy!!
(UPDATE 8:53) Follow the UH press conference at http://espn1420am.com/. Conversly, we’ll be tweeting the goods @vandalnation
(UPDATE) We’ve gotten reports that WAC comish. Karl Benson has not been informed of the move as of just a few minutes ago (8:22 local time).
Well, the headline really says it all — reports flying around the conference that Hawaii is finally making the move and leaving the WAC. UH has scheduled a press conference for 7pm local time, presumably to announce the move. We’ll update once we have the official confirmation, meanwhile follow the latest happenings on our twitter at @vandalnation.
Hawaii is the WAC”s longest-standing member, being a part of the conference for 32 years. Should Hawaii accept, the top four schools in the WAC will have left in the span of a few months, with Hawaii joining Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada in the MWC.
With Hawaii out of the picture, the WAC’s future becomes less certain and begs the question: who is the next to jump ship? Could SJSU, NMSU or even Idaho be next to follow. Suddenly inviting UTSA and Texas State seems like a lost cause…